Mary Immaculate Catholic Primary School was opened by the Sisters of the Sacred Heart on 30 April, 1917, on the site where the Marymac Community Centre now stands. It was originally called the Ipswich Road Convent School. After two years, the Sacred Heart Sisters moved to Stuartholme, to be replaced by the Sisters of St Joseph (1919). The name of the school was then changed to St Joseph’s Convent School.
In the 1950’s the name was changed once again, to Mary Immaculate Catholic Primary School. The Sisters of St Joseph continued to run the school for 72 years (1919-1991). The first lay Principal
was appointed in January 1991. However, the Mary Immaculate School Community still has a very
close association with the Sisters of St Joseph, through the Mary MacKillop Centre, located in Ferndale
Street. The charism and spirit of Mary MacKillop is promoted throughout the school, particularly
through our Student Leadership Program. We are proud to be a school that is associated with St Mary
of the Cross MacKillop, Australia’s first saint.
On April 30 2017, the school celebrated 100 years of Catholic education. The school continues the rich tradition of providing quality, inclusive education to members of the Annerley community and beyond.
Read more about the school history
Please see below for current photos of our school.